Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 14:09

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

A Leap in Gaming Technology

Discussion on A Leap in Gaming Technology within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
A Leap in Gaming Technology

Earlier today it was expressed that different Cable providers are going to offer cloud-gaming to their subscribers in the near future. AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner are some the most commented about this matter.

When it comes to the technology these carriers will use to power said experience, Playcast Media Systems, CiiNOW Inc., Agawi Inc. are the ones which are already announced.

With this cloud-gaming experience, different companies such as Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will be getting some new competition; this, next year.

According to different sources, trials of some of these cloud-gaming services are expected to begin later this year, to allow said cable companies to test and tweak the technology before completely launching it on 2013, and some more in 2014.

Regarding the games customers will be able to play this way, it goes way beyond Indie/Casual games, as it has been expressed that it will get to "advanced" action games, including titles from publishers such as Electronic Arts.

EA's senior director of corporate communications, John Reseburg, has already replied to this rumor, expressing that connected TV experiences like said cable companies' cloud-gaming services are not of EA's immediate objectives right now.

"Connected TV represents a major opportunity for gaming on the five-year horizon, it's long-term opportunity, but it's another technology that has a lot of potential to dramatically expand our audience."

It has been said, as well, that these cable companies are already researching about different software which can be used to turn smartphones into potential controllers for this purpose; as customers won't need to have any retail controller for this, they will be using generic controllers, according to current ideas for this service.
Attached Thumbnails
A Leap in Gaming Technology-cloudgaming.jpg  
Thanks
6 Users
Old 09/26/2012, 08:45   #2

elite*gold: 10
thanks for the news
Old 09/26/2012, 08:55   #3

elite*gold: 2
Hm cool.

But in Germany not available or ?
Old 09/26/2012, 09:08   #4

Well, it is too early to call names on countries which will be getting this; just today is that we got to know about this feature, and the only companies mentioned were the ones appearing on this initiative so far, I will keep posting when more news regarding this are released
Old 09/26/2012, 12:04   #5

elite*gold: 0
The Black Market: 666/0/0
Sounds quite interesting.
Old 09/26/2012, 14:34   #6

I allready got an OnLive account with a ton of games on it. Right know the service works only in USA and UK but you can also play from other countries like me(from Romania). All you need is a stable internet connection. All I can say is that this is the best thing the internet has to offer for the weaker computers. Also if games like Cabal Online would get on it , the hacking would stop massivly as it nearly imposible to alter the game you're playing.
Old 09/27/2012, 00:49   #7

Received Thanks: 1,066
Ummm....but if At&t and Verizon are part of it...how will that work out? >.>
I don't want to pay $80 a month for a 5GB cloud type of service.. -.-
(since these providers don't allow unlimited data..which is stupid as hell.)
Old 09/27/2012, 02:27   #8

Not many details have been revealed regarding this upcoming technology, we will have to wait for these sort of information
Old 10/02/2012, 22:15   #9

This service has already been out for a long time, Gaikai for example is a service that hosts an open cloud gaming platform.

It's still in an early stage, but it's working fine to just try out the demos
Old 10/09/2012, 15:55   #10

Cloud gaming is going to get popular.