Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 16:05

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Mozilla-Devs: First DeSopa Plugin to defy SOPA

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 1,831
Mozilla-Devs: First DeSopa Plugin to defy SOPA

Hey E*PvP Community!

The SOPA/PIPA topic got lately a lot of attention.

Starting by the huge SOPA blackout by wikipedia, greenpeace, 4chan (full list at the bottom*), followed by the news of the shut down of Megaupload.com, counterstriked by Anonymous by taking offline the FBI webservers, Warners Music Group, RDAA and many more some developers are working now on Mozilla plugins to defy SOPA.

HOW IT WORKS
When turned on, DeSopa intercepts URLs, sends the base URL to three offshore DNS services via HTTP, makes a best effort to check that two of them are equivalent, caches the IP for the browser session, redirects to the equivalent URL using the IP, and substitutes out the domain name in the source code with the IP address for future requests.

The plugin can has the name DeSopa and can be found here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/desopa/

Please keep in mind that it's not neccessary to use this plugin right now, as SOPA is not decided yet.

Sponsored by: My-MMORPG.com
Attached Thumbnails
Mozilla-Devs: First DeSopa Plugin to defy SOPA-sopa-stop.jpg  

Thanks
4 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 0
Meh it's about time wikipedia blackout is over beside this add on should be good
recommend not to use it after Jan 24 because that will the be the day of voting on the bill of SOPA.

Old   #3

Helpful tool for US internet users. Let's just hope websites can strategically relocate internationally IF the bill passes. There's such a large movement for it to fail, but sometimes politicians don't really listen to that.
Old   #4

Well the tool is useless sopa was killed today
Congress withdraws anti-piracy measures - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

Old   #5

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 1,097
well it got postpone for the meantime. wonder when they'll start the voting again.
Old   #6

@shemgwapo I doubt they will, this whole bill seems fishy, like it's just a tactical distraction of sorts for something happening or going to happen. My reasoning for this is that this bill is destined to fail, the american people wouldn't let anything of the sort happen to their(our technically since I'm american ) internet or what is on it and I'm positive with all the poll's and information gathering the government does on it's people I'd guess they know it as well, but this is all just my opinion on it from a stand point of how I'd cover something up
Old   #7

SOPA Is tabled for now.
PIPA is still on going. I wonder if they will stop it or let it go through.
Old   #8
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 4
Received Thanks: 5,724
SOPA is stopped
PIPA is still going for votes, since most of site protested against SOPA, no PIPA
Old   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
SOPA is stopped
PIPA is still going for votes, since most of site protested against SOPA, no PIPA
- No, SOPA is still on going, But the hearing date for it was moved to Febuary.
- I dont know the specific day for it. But im pretty sure it was moved to Febuary.
Old   #10

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,897
Actually as I know SOPA was denied, yet PIPA and ACTA are still going
Old   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by helliantgod View Post
@shemgwapo I doubt they will, this whole bill seems fishy, like it's just a tactical distraction of sorts for something happening or going to happen. My reasoning for this is that this bill is destined to fail, the american people wouldn't let anything of the sort happen to their(our technically since I'm american ) internet or what is on it and I'm positive with all the poll's and information gathering the government does on it's people I'd guess they know it as well, but this is all just my opinion on it from a stand point of how I'd cover something up
I wholeheartedly agree and wish more people realized this. SOPA/PIPA/ACTA aren't about anti-piracy anyway, they're about censorship. They don't affect anybody but law abiding citizens, something the government is well aware of.

IF it isn't a big government smoke screen then we can expect them to be watered down repeatedly until they pass, and then added to over the next years a la Homeland Security/Patriot Act.

Either way it sets a dangerous precedent whether it passes or not.
Old   #12

**** OFF SOPA
Old   #13

Stopppp Sopaaa!!!!
Old   #14

elite*gold: 3
What about ACTA?
Old   #15

Received Thanks: 1,730
Why create all these bills, are they really this dedicated to runing are rightss, (one bill would be understanble...but there is like 10 out there!!)