Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Eve Online
You last visited: Today at 19:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

What are the most important things to know when buying a character? + How to buy ISK?

Discussion on What are the most important things to know when buying a character? + How to buy ISK? within the Eve Online forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
What are the most important things to know when buying a character? + How to buy ISK?

So far, my main has ~ 10.5 KK SP's, and I'm interested in buying a character so I don't have to wait months for my training que. There's no way in hell I plan to jump into capitals just because I have the "skills" to pilot them, but I want the limits to be my game play ability, rather than my allocation of SP. [i]I want to purchase a character to play not plunder. I already know what career-related skills I want to have or develop... and which ones will go into skill extractors.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to know what I don't know
but need to know. I know enough to look at a skill set and compare it to to que to reach my target ships and career goals, but I don't know the "gotcha" things that I could miss. Since most things in Eve are Caveat Emptor this "emptor" should know his "caveats" (if you can excuse my ).

It seems like most buyers here look at $/kk-sp while buyers in the bizarre look mostly for PvP skills. I'm looking for a character that can have a reasonable transition from my current knowledge base of Gallente ships and space.
  • How important are faction standings & security ratings?
  • Kill rights?
  • Is there an easy way for a seller to show which assets (if any) are included?
  • Attributes seem like they should be important because no character I can afford will have all the skills I want. I'll have to have a training plan that may or may not require a remap at some point.
  • Skill summary & details are an easy ask because they can be shown with screen shots.
  • Implants are easy because they have their own tab on the character sheet.
  • What else am I missing or making into an issue that is really unimportant?

It's unreasonable to ask for a bunch of info early in the process. How do I:
1) prioritize the "gotcha's" for a playable character so I don't waste either party's time;
2) let the seller know I'm serious and not wasting his time with endless questions?

It seems like the "request trade" function is the last step in the process, not: "I want to buy if we can agree on a price and there are no deal-breakers."

I know CCP makes a big deal out of not selling accounts. I assume it raises flags when a user logs into an account from locations very far apart with a short time span between logins. It seems like the safer thing to do is to make clear to the seller I just want the character(s), as (an) individual transaction(s) so I never login to the account.

====

How does one buy or sell ISK in bulk if CCP is said to track large movements of ISK? I can use the "trade" function to reduce risk on the money transfer side of things, but I have no idea how CCP flags no-no transfers of ISK/injectors/PLEX or characters.

I'd appreciate any operational insights you can give me.

Thanks all!
Old 05/09/2016, 08:51   #2

elite*gold: 666
Received Thanks: 2,417
First thing: You should in no case buy an account or buy ISK directly. This will get you banned period.

Do you really want to buy a character. I would rather buy injectors. If you don't want to fly capitals this seems like a good way. You can buy the ISK for that via PLEX or via AURUM and selling Extractors. Calculate beforehand which gives you better ISK/$.
Old 05/11/2016, 11:34   #3

Buying a character is safe if you have the seller transfer the character over to you using the normal character transfer mechanisms. If they just give you the username and password it is not safe.

Some sellers have ways of cleaning isk before giving it to you/not triggering CCPs flagging. You will have to ask the seller about how they deliver and if they have a record of safety. Alternatively - you can buy another character and just strip the SP for isk.
Old 05/16/2016, 04:58   #4

I'm interested in getting a playable character. I mostly run missions and trade. At some point, I'll be interested in PvP but not right away.

What are the things that would make a purchased character difficult to play. Someone with billions in bounties and -5.1 security rating, for example, would not be able to run missions. A standings screen shot of "Dislike By" would show where the character could NOT go, and it would also show bounties.

Anything else that could severely impact playability of a character?