Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 20:12

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

vps servers

Discussion on vps servers within the EO PServer Hosting forum part of the Eudemons Online category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 90
vps servers

Dear users
i was wondering about a few things lately

i see that the private servers are growing again , that is a good thing
but i wonder if most people preffer to host on his own pc or that they go to a vps for certain reason

Then if they go to a vps , do they make a certain choise based on packages or do they choose based on price ?

as example , if you see a vps with 256 mb ram and you know it is great quality
or you see a bit more expensive server with 512 mb ram but you do not know the quality of it
what choise would you make ?

i personal preffer to first know the quality over the price , if the quality is great and can handle what it need to do , why spending more if you are not even sure about the quality

so now the final question
what you think of 1GB ram for 15€ ?
does it sounds like scam ? does it sounds like " i want that" or is it the same and you keep looking for differen spects

lately on this forum i saw differend posts that keeps claiming that you need 1GB dedicated ram and 1TB trafic to start your private server
as the private server owners knows , that is kinda rubish

it first depends on the quality and the system the vps servers use , if you got 1GB virtual ram ( aka , diskspace/swapfile/pagefile ) then it will never works
but if you got Dedicated ram and Virtual ram .. then everything can run on it how low the ram is

there is a little cach on ofcourse , the amount of Dedicated ram deside how fast everything goes , virtual ram is always slower and that provide lag

same count for the traffic , who says you need 1TB traffic ?
the traffic amount depends on the players and if you start to monitor your own traffic then you notice that you do not even use 100GB traffic on a server with low amount of players

so i like to ask a few things here so i know what you as server owners think about things
  • why you choose a vps ?
  • where is your desision based on ( price ? ram ? traffic ? .. )
  • Do you read revieuws or do you research before making a desision ??
  • do you need to know the host ? or does it not mather
  • anything else that can make a final desision before you get your vps

Now some users ask what this has to do with eudemons
basicly it has 2 things to do with eudemons
it prevent that users get scammed as they got more information about things then they got now

it shows to other users how server owners are thinking and based on that they can make a wise desision to see where they need to go , what they need to do and how they got it calculated
so more private servers can start up and they do not run away because of the high costs other providers offer them and that prevent them from even trying

the best example are the vps servers i offered with 256 mb ram (is now 1GB)
it is proven more then once that it can run a perfect eo server (and differend servers) with stability

but because of false information that users are providing do no1 belive it
and that is why i like to ask how users thinks so others know there story to

Thank you
Greetings From PowerChaos
Old 02/27/2012, 18:06   #2

elite*gold: 0
At first i started using vps. the first i already had was a very cheap 1 and wasn't really made for running a server from. So i moved to a better vps. I choose to pay a bit more for better quality to have no lag even if the server continue to grow. After Several disappointments and technical problems and needing to keep calling international for the smallest mistakes on there side well cost where running higher then it supposed to.
And hearing the b*lls**t of the i have send a ticket to the administrators it may take up to 24-48 hours to process this.
So after basically a lot of troubles with hosting i went to dedicated server.
this gave me the chance to run 2 servers and basically pay for 1.
Split it up into 2 vps and the dedicated itself. taking there cpu and ram.
So if 1 crash others won't be affected. And if something does go wrong you still have access to your data and or can reboot or re-image your vps without any difficulties.
Of course the price of this is a bit more bit this way i can make sure that its stable and no lag.
For me quality means more then the price. if this mean i have to pay 20 $ more and sure that is better i'll take that.
Old 02/27/2012, 21:21   #3

elite*gold: 246
Didn't take the time to read your whole post tbh, but I believe the confusion about the amount of memory you need is based on the idea that most people will run the server on their day-to-day machine and not on a machine just for EO. 1GB of ram + windows 7 + EO server + firefox with 20 tabs, word open, youtube playing, and torrents downloading is going to make for a crappy experience for the person at the computer and the players. However if you have a machine just running the EO server, you can get by with less.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/27/2012, 21:31   #4

elite*gold: 90
basicly i made this post for a few reasons

it is to show other users what other private server owners thinks and that they can get a idea how they need to think

second is to know how they think and that it is not always the cheapest that is the best or that it need to be extreme expensive to be good

last thing is to get a idea how people think those days , do they still think how bigger how better or do they search for great deals and compare quality instead only the $ sign

final thing was to sneaky anounce that i upgraded my vps servers from 256mb to 1Gb :P but we keep that a secret ^^

anyway , it contains usefull information and it does not only help other people , but it definaly helps me to see how server owners are thinking those days

Thank you for your reply's
other reply's are still welcome , how more we got how more information we got and how more and better servers there can exist instead those 1 month servers

Greetings From PowerChaos
Thanks
2 Users