Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Diablo 3 > Diablo 3 Guides & Strategies
You last visited: Today at 16:13

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[GUIDE] Damage Reduction Explained

Discussion on [GUIDE] Damage Reduction Explained within the Diablo 3 Guides & Strategies forum part of the Diablo 3 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[GUIDE] Damage Reduction Explained

Greetings,

Many guys have been asking me how it is possible to calculate your actual damage reduction caused by resistance, armor and +buff from a protection shrine.

Well the math and formula is pretty simple:

Lets say you are fighting a Mob that causes 100k damage per hit (100.000). Lets also imagin we have 70% Damage Reduction from our resistance ( Around 800-850 reistance) and that we have around 60% Reduced damage from our Armor ( around 4.5k+ )

The reduction order goes like this: Damage hits - Resistance -> Armor -> (Buff) -> Life

With the 100.000 damage intake we get - 0.7(70%) * 100.000 = 70.000 Reduced Damage -> 0.6(60%) * 30.000 (100.000 - 70.000) = 18.000 Reduced Damage -> (0.25(25%) * 12.000 (30.000-18.000) = 3000 Reduced Damage from buff) = 12.000 - 3000 = 9.000 Amount of damage goes to life.

With shield:
I myself have a stormshield with 35% block chance, which means that i have a 35% chance to block an additional 3706-4706. That will leave my max damage taken if block succes to 9.000 - 3706 = 5294 Damage dealt goes to life. The minimum amount of damage taken if block succes is 9.000-4706 = 4294 damage dealt goes to life.

My friend have a build equal to mine, which is pretty much equal to the one stated above - in theory my friend can handle 100k hits and take 0 damage if he blocks and even without the buff from Protection Shrine, due to his higher armor and higher resistance.

If you have any questions regarding this thread, feel free to ask them. Also if you want me to simplify the math or anything, tell me and i do it This was just a fast explanation.

Regards,
fRodzet
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/04/2012, 17:30   #2

elite*gold: 139
Received Thanks: 24,256
Its not really that simple, as there are more variables that can come into calculation. Barbs and Monks got an additional 30% Base Reduction, also there are items like %Reduced Melee/Ranged Damage and others, aswell as many abilities that either reduce incoming damage or overall mob damage.
Old 09/04/2012, 18:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanara View Post
Its not really that simple, as there are more variables that can come into calculation. Barbs and Monks got an additional 30% Base Reduction, also there are items like %Reduced Melee/Ranged Damage and others, aswell as many abilities that either reduce incoming damage or overall mob damage.
Ofcourse there is But i talk about the basic stuff that comes from items etc Also if you want to figure out the actual Damage Reduction like Ranged vs Melee, AoE effects etc it ofc needs more formula's. - Which will come in my upcoming Calculator
Old 09/21/2013, 19:16   #4

Look forward to see this calculator of yours.

Would you mind sending me a PM when its available?

Thanks
Old 11/29/2013, 18:51   #5

Thank's for the information.

Tags
damage, damage reduction, diablo 3, dr