Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 11:59

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Skills Client Side (Requested)

Discussion on Skills Client Side (Requested) within the CO2 PServer Guides & Releases forum part of the CO2 Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Skills Client Side (Requested)

Would a moderator please move this to the proper section. I apologize, I did not realize this section of the forum had been split into various sections. Thank you for your help.

Note: I will not assist anyone further then this, as is, I feel it's probably pointless to post, but I do get PM's occasionally in regards to it, so here you go...

I personally think it's pointless reposting this guide, but as it has been asked about several times in PM's, I will repost.

This will not work with encrypted MagicType.dat files. This was intended for 5017 or before.

Note: This will only work for changing skills that are not currently in use ingame. Their are quite a few, so no worries, you can easily make 2 - 3 classes with unique skills based on what's available.

First off, you need to get a hex editor. I've added a download link for one below.

Now, backup your MagicType.dat, then open your original with this hex editor. It's probably going to look like complete jibberish to the majority reading this, so I'm going to do my best to explain it.

Now the first key thing you need to remember is spacing. Basically, when changing information, you have to make sure the entire code still consists of the same amount of blocks, so... If you were to change the name from Thunder to Fire, do the math. How many letters are in Thunder? 7, how many in Fire? 4. Therefor, you need to make up for the lost spaces, which is 3. So you would click the edit tab, and select insert string. Once the new window opens, select hex string, and enter empty values.

Example: 00 00 00

That will add 3 empty values. Now if you're making a section bigger then it's original code, you'll of course need to remove some of the empty values. Just delete the required amount dirrectly after the change you made. Keep in mind though, the block you select/highlight will not delete when you press delete, the box before it will. So be carefull not to rush into deleting incase you remove something important.

Ok, so below we have a screenshot of what you're working with. I'm going to attempt to make sense of it all for you. One thing you'll notice are there are 2 sides, the left being hex, the right being text, obviously.

Note: I may be off by a few empty values in sections (as it was merely made to help explain. So don't always refer to this when changing certain values, try and compare with a skill similar to what you're making to get all distances correct.

Now for a brief explanation of each number you see here. I've added colours to boxes of number. Some boxes may share a colour unfortunatly, just remember to follow what's said.

Blue1 - This is the Skill ID. If you highlight E8, go to tools, and decode number, it will bring up a value of 1000, which is Thunders SkillId.

Grey1 - This is the skill type, it seems to determine a delay for jumping after casting a spell.

Then you have the name of course.

Pink1 - This is the PK Flash. I think, every skill is 1 for this.

Red1 - Not quite sure what this block is as of yet.

Green1 - This is for targetting, whether single or multi. (00 is single. 01 is multi)

Teal1 - Target Type

Orange - Skill Lvl

Purple1 - Mana Cost

Brown1 - Effect

White1 - Cast Time

Light Grey - Hit rate

Yellow1 - Range

Blue2 - Distance

Grey2 - Not Sure what this is.

Pink2 - Required Experience

Yellow2 - Required Level

Purple2 - Cost Type (Mana = 0 || XP = 1 || Stamina = 2)

Brown2 - Weapon Type

White2 - Passitivity (If it's a weapon skill that casts on it's own, like snow, change to 4)

Blue2 - Required Stamina

Red2 - Chain Magic, for spells that continue to hit target without the player clicking.

Green2 - Not sure what this is as of yet.

Teal2 - Action (what the player does movement wise when casting the skill I believe)

Then the word upgradable, obviously to show in the status menu that the skill can be upgraded. As you progress through the levels of the skill, be sure to change it to level requirements you would like.

Example: Upgrade~after~lvl~50

And of course Fixed when it's Fixed. ><

Now where it says Intone-1 (some skills may be set to NULL at this location)
That's the effect that will show on the player when casting the spell.

The Orange NULL is the effect that will show on the monster after casting, of course for thunder, no effect shows after they get hit by the spell, but for some skills, you may want to add one.

Then where it says Thunder again, that's the skill effect, the lightning bolt that hits the enemy, get it. (also may be set to NULL for some skills)

And lastly, sound\thunder.wav
If you can't figure out what that's for, I'll smack you.

Don't worry, you can add custom sounds, just make sure they are a single mono wav file, or mp3.

Now I know I missed a few details, but in most cases, this is all you'll need to know to change things properly. Otherwise, if you ever feel there is something missing from your skill, consult similar skills to yours, and I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's all pretty simple once you play with it for a little bit.
Aside from that, all you need to do is add the coding portion of your skill into your source. Don't forget to add it into the appropriate experience bracket in your coding also.

You'll also have to create an image button for the skill. Just to help you out, here is a plain box you can add a preffered image into. It's nothing spectacular, just removed previous image and smudged background, but really, it not noticeable when another image is placed onto it.

button template.rar

Now once you create your button, give it a unique name, and add it into the data/main folder. After that, go into your ani folder, and make it so the client reads the image. This can be done in Magic.ani and Magic1.ani. Simply copy another skill and replace the info as needed.

Example:

Code:
//MagicSkillType[COLOR="Red"]5007[/COLOR]
[MagicSkillType[COLOR="red"]5007[/COLOR]]
FrameAmount=1
Frame0=data/main/[COLOR="red"]MyNewSkill.dds[/COLOR]
And remember, after making this, only you will see the skill. If you want others to be able to see it, or use it, you'll need to distribute a patch including your MagicType.dat, and any textures/sounds you have added or editted.

Hope this helps a few people, and please leave thanks if it helps.
Thanks
5 Users
Old 12/11/2010, 15:43   #2

This is soooo helpful.

Anyways, shouldn't it be in releases?

Goodjob thought!
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/11/2010, 16:03   #3

Hmmm.... I hadn't noticed the forum had split into various sections, been awhile since I've come on here. Anyway, I'll post a big note at top of first post for a mod.
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/11/2010, 16:07   #4

Is good with some resources around here.
Old 12/11/2010, 16:47   #5

This time please leave this here
Old 12/11/2010, 23:21   #6

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Nice job. I remember reading this when it was originally posted so having it around again is kinda nice especially seeing as I'm going to be adding a bunch of new skills to my 5300+ source in the next month or two. While I know all the concepts behind it, having a readily available example/guide is always nice.
Old 12/12/2010, 04:17   #7

Well... This guide won't help so much with a 5300+ source, as TQ encrypted the magictype.dat around the 5065 version I think it was, unless they went and changed it back of course, I wouldn't know, I haven't touched a client above 5135 I think it was. As for newer versions, they're actually simpler to work with, merely have to decrypt the magictype.dat as you would the itemtype.dat, and work in a notepad file editting details. You can probably piece together what each value in the decrypted version is based off what I wrote, but I'm sure someone has released a more detailed list, which would probably help in such a case, but that's of course if you understand some of the more complex systems encountered within skills, which even TQ themselves haven't worked with fully that I know of. Seems they like adding available features into their client which they never end up using or programming, just to create wasted space.