Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 04:36

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[OpenSource Project] C++ CoCore

Discussion on [OpenSource Project] C++ CoCore within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old 11/17/2010, 07:19   #31

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterman01 View Post
that is if this project lives.
It'd only not live if people don't give a **** about it. If people give it interest it will do fine.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/17/2010, 13:26   #32

Well i dont particularly know C++ but im willing to learn it so... Lets do it
Old 11/17/2010, 19:46   #33

elite*gold: 0
I'm currently working on it.. adding a multithreading core. Don't dare to ask me when the first revision will be commited, because I don't know. Do you guys have anything else you want to see implemented, other then the things I'm already working on?
Old 11/17/2010, 19:54   #34

Seems to be interesting Good job Immune Keep up teh good work
Old 11/17/2010, 19:59   #35

Would be better to make this work on private servers on pretty much all games similar to Conquer Online, pretty much all MMORPGs actually. < IMO
Old 11/17/2010, 21:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basser View Post
Would be better to make this work on private servers on pretty much all games similar to Conquer Online, pretty much all MMORPGs actually. < IMO
Unfortunately, most other private server scenes already have everything they need setup. Perhaps -future- implementations, but that would rather be going 'outside of the box,' something that doesn't happen around here.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/17/2010, 23:17   #37

I code in C++ for my iPod Touch! xP
What's the advantage of doing this though? Managed (C#) vs. Native (C++)
Native applications have more power over the operating system right?
Old 11/18/2010, 00:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFang View Post
I code in C++ for my iPod Touch! xP
What's the advantage of doing this though? Managed (C#) vs. Native (C++)
Native applications have more power over the operating system right?
No, you don't use C++ for your iPod Touch. You use Objective C....and. Well it's apple, when do they make a good choice?

You can have MANAGED C++, if you want. C# is not the only managed language, nor is C++ the only native language. Managed merely refers to the memory management, managed is done by a virtual machine, whereas unmanaged(native) is done in the application by the application.

In general native code is faster, allows for more customization, and is more cross-platform. In terms of an mmo server, it's generally considered better because it's more scalable, again, customizable, and sometimes a few fractions of a second faster. But in a game, fractions of seconds really matter.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/18/2010, 22:16   #39

Received Thanks: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd123 View Post
No, you don't use C++ for your iPod Touch. You use Objective C....and. Well it's apple, when do they make a good choice?

You can have MANAGED C++, if you want. C# is not the only managed language, nor is C++ the only native language. Managed merely refers to the memory management, managed is done by a virtual machine, whereas unmanaged(native) is done in the application by the application.

In general native code is faster, allows for more customization, and is more cross-platform. In terms of an mmo server, it's generally considered better because it's more scalable, again, customizable, and sometimes a few fractions of a second faster. But in a game, fractions of seconds really matter.
You're half right

They kind of do support C++. However, this doesn't get past the point Apple is ****.

Well said though about the fractions of seconds being important; on this note, would you sacrifice neatness (of code) for speed (of code-execution). I can't particularly think of an example, but I recall having to do this once.
Old 11/19/2010, 00:54   #40

Received Thanks: 1,147
Carbon was totaly in C++, but it's no longer updated by Apple... Cocoa is in Objective-C, seems that you can add C++ part also, and it's the only updated language for OS X... You can still program with Carbon, but you can't use the graphic API and there is no 64 bits support.
Old 11/19/2010, 03:06   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousNoone View Post
Well said though about the fractions of seconds being important; on this note, would you sacrifice neatness (of code) for speed (of code-execution). I can't particularly think of an example, but I recall having to do this once.
Neatness is in the eye of the beholder though. A master at C++ might consider templating classes and function pointers to be neat, but someone relatively new might see that as sloppy, and vice versa experience might show something functional as sloppy and can make a better version. Comments are there for "neatness" and helping to understand what code does. The goal is to make it as fast as possible without sacrificing functionality. Use comments to explain, not the code itself.
Old 11/19/2010, 03:34   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone-you View Post
Neatness is in the eye of the beholder though. A master at C++ might consider templating classes and function pointers to be neat, but someone relatively new might see that as sloppy, and vice versa experience might show something functional as sloppy and can make a better version. Comments are there for "neatness" and helping to understand what code does. The goal is to make it as fast as possible without sacrificing functionality. Use comments to explain, not the code itself.
Time to write everything in assembly, woop.

Just kidding, but, agree with you.
Old 11/19/2010, 03:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd123 View Post
Time to write everything in assembly, woop.

Just kidding, but, agree with you.
While not time efficient, assembly coding would ideally give the biggest performance (or at least used to). Compilers are getting more intelligent and can mostly make the best decisions on how to compile the code. In some cases, assembly could be faster. It's just about knowing when to use and when not to use certain functions.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/20/2010, 13:08   #44

First revision near to be done;
-CoCore::Threading::IDisposable implemented.
-CoCore::Threading::Monitor implented.
-CoCore::any<T> implemented.
-CoCore::Collection::IComparable<T> implemented.
-CoCore::Collection::Queue<T> implemented.

During this project I'm using boost; Available for windows users on boostpro.com and most linux users already have it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/21/2010, 04:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone-you View Post
As long as you remember "main" is lowercase :P <3
I don't think rather even using C++ is a smart idea for this community. Barely a handful > 10 , are capable of c++. Nearly half or more than half are incapable of managing safe and smart coding in c#. You can account for this but anyone who could mange this all hide in underground. I think its a fair assessment that the public community for Conquer Online just is to lazy to get up and learn. In my opinion the only language that is of the current state of this group of people that login everyday to this forum, post , reply , and "thank" would be more suitable using Visual Basic.