Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 12:27

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Poll] Sticky Server Advertisements

Discussion on [Poll] Sticky Server Advertisements within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: Should server advertisements be stickied if they meet requirements?
Yes, sticky deserving advertisements. 16 44.44%
No, do not sticky advertisements. 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
[Poll] Sticky Server Advertisements

Context: Simple suggestion that's continually shot down by Epvp staff. We need to show them that this is wanted by our section (or not wanted by our section, if that's the case).

Problem: Server advertisements are continually buried by bad servers. It makes it hard for members to find good servers in the mist of copy servers from outside our board. It's also difficult for our developers here who are spammed out of publicity.

Solution: Sticky server advertisements based on a list of requirements. Move server rule threads to announcements. Example requirements: duration online, count of active players, generally positive feedback.

Reasoning: This would separate spam servers from our developers' servers and give them better transparency and positive attention. It encourages players to play good private servers and developers to develop servers and collaborate/compete against good servers rather than fight spam in the section.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/30/2016, 23:39   #2

elite*gold: 0
Please for the love of *** implement this small, yet efficient system.
Old 05/31/2016, 00:46   #3
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,470
Im not from this sectin but this really caught my attention

I moderate SRO, one of the.most active sections on here

My section is 90% advertising

Doing this on our section will totally destory the section, both for the stability of the non biased community and the fact this will complately could be used as a way to self promote one's server

I can guarantee you that, if this is somewhat done, will lead to the conception if a bias mod team.

Tl;dr this is a terrible idea
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 01:04   #4

If you're not in this section or aware of the problems we face, then you shouldn't vote. That's a misrepresentation of our section's opinion. Bias isn't involved either if it's based on requirements rather than judgement. You're not from this section, you didn't read my thread properly, and still voted? Come the **** on man.
Old 05/31/2016, 01:07   #5
Chat Killer In Duty

Not really

Im here under suggestion

While im not part of this section, thiw is something that could potentially harm the forum. The idea is not good and while im not on my section, this is of open interest

Also, making a poll for this will not change a thing

Not only the mods see this as a bad idead but the rest of yhe team
Thanks
2 Users
Old 05/31/2016, 01:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
Not really

Im here under suggestion

While im not part of this section, thiw is something that could potentially harm the forum. The idea is not good and while im not on my section, this is of open interest

Also, making a poll for this will not change a thing

Not only the mods see this as a bad idead but the rest of yhe team
You have no knowledge about the greater harms that affect this entire section as a whole. Under no circumstances was this appropriate. We now have 3 votes on no that weren't there before you came along. Is the staff seriously sending moderators to vote this down? Is that this "suggestion" you're referring to?
Old 05/31/2016, 01:17   #7
Chat Killer In Duty

Well, seems you arent able to take no as an answer

On that case, im leaving

But remember, a poll of this kind of suggestions will never lead into something

If it was that way, i would have given the users on my section a lot of stuff. The mods already said no and the poll isnt gonna change such a delicate policy

Anyway, have a good day
Old 05/31/2016, 01:19   #8

Quote:
Well, seems you arent able to take no as an answer

On that case, im leaving

But remember, a poll of this kind of suggestions will never lead into something

If it was that way, i would have given the users on my section a lot of stuff. The mods already said no and the poll isnt gonna change such a delicate policy

Anyway, have a good day
The mods of other sections said no. You can't speak on behalf of our section. What gives you the right to do that as a moderator of another section anyways? Are you ******* serious?
Old 05/31/2016, 01:57   #9

elite*gold: 83
Received Thanks: 6,036
I'm totally fine with suggestions. A large, if not always, I endorse suggestions for any community. It's a great way for feedback, make changes, get opinions. See what's good and bad.

However, we cannot endorse sticking separate threads onto the section. We're a board which tons of active members, so many people come in and come out. A few years back, net neutrality was a thing, right?

Quote:
the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites
Isn't this kind of the same? We do have rules. We follow through by them, we've also had thoughts on the matter at hand and tried to come to a compromise and help out as best we can.

This is a public board, everyone has a right to vote on that poll. Anyone can speak regarding the section. I understand that some people may be more interested in the section, and may have more experience regarding it. But everyone is allowed to post.

As this is a suggestions thread, it would be very nice to respect other users (and possibly staff in this case) opinions. Instead of being very passive aggressive due to a differing opinion. Which I find very rude, and can be warned in such as case, as it can be considered as baiting.

This isn't a top server site, it's a board where bad and good things will come as they please. A good server could pop up right now, sure. It might be horrible now, give it time. It'd become really good. It's unfair on people like him as well, that his thread won't get stickied because of X and Y.

Just please, don't get too passive aggressive when someone has a differing opinion.
Old 05/31/2016, 02:19   #10

My problem isn't that you closed the thread, it's that you and other moderators believe you can accurately represent us. We have a different perspective than you do and had to deal with a lot more than you have just to develop here. You say you're open to suggestions and ideas, but then prohibit our section for speaking for themselves. We have a unanimous vote on "sticky advertisements" without the 4 moderators who voted on this thread. Can you honestly say you think you understand the entire picture? This section is dangerously close to collapsing all together if it hasn't already, so let our section's members discuss this topic. Not other moderators. Our members.
Old 05/31/2016, 02:20   #11

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
[...]
If it was suggested few years ago, when the CO2 section was still pretty much alive, I would have said that it isn't a good idea as it would has led to biased advertising. But, with the current context where only a few servers are running for more than a few months, are maintained properly, do no show major security issues and have a decent player base, and that all the other servers advertised are mostly there to make some money (and they'll die in the next month following the advertisement), I think it's not that bad.

When I was moderating the section, half the new advertising threads were deleted due to a missing linkback, and most of the thread starters wouldn't even bother to add the linkback and repost their thread. Another part of the new advertising threads had the linkback, because it's part of most website templates now, but wouldn't post anything after (basically throwing the advertising) Finally, you had a part of the threads created by people who don't have a clue what they're doing and how to maintain a server, so, well, they'll either abandon the idea rapidly, or create 10 unsuccessful server, renaming it every time. The decent servers are always submerged by the other threads.

---

If the conditions are objective, it's hard to say that the moderators are biased. Stickiing servers with more than 100 active players, running for more than 4-6 months cannot be biased, and in the CO2 world, you'll eliminate 95% of the servers that are advertised here.

---

With all due respect, each section is different. The community is different, the game context is different (CO2 is what, 12 years old? the community has changed a lot in all these years), etc. You cannot force a forum-wide standard and expect it to work for every sections. If these changes are applied to the CO2 section, I do not expect them to be applied in all other sections just for the sake of applying them. There is an issue here, but maybe not in your section. I've never tried to interfere with how other sections were moderated because it was none of my business. The staff moderating the section knows better than me how to do it for the section to work. And with all due respect to the admins, I don't think they have the direct picture of the issue in this section as do the moderators (and the previous staff), they might have the global picture, but sometime a case-per-case solution is mandatory for good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
However, we cannot endorse sticking separate threads onto the section. We're a board which tons of active members, so many people come in and come out. A few years back, net neutrality was a thing, right
If the conditions are objectives, it doesn't affect the net neutrality, no? What about a sticky linking to the servers respecting these conditions? It would be a kind of index...

Quote:
This is a public board, everyone has a right to vote on that poll. Anyone can speak regarding the section. I understand that some people may be more interested in the section, and may have more experience regarding it. But everyone is allowed to post.
Everyone has a right to vote on that poll. But if that poll only affects the CO2 section, I don't see why people who won't be affected by it should vote... I have a friend with dual nationality. She has the right to vote in Canada, but she don't because she no longer lives here and she shouldn't vote for something that won't affect her but only others.

Quote:
This isn't a top server site, it's a board where bad and good things will come as they please. A good server could pop up right now, sure. It might be horrible now, give it time. It'd become really good. It's unfair on people like him as well, that his thread won't get stickied because of X and Y.
The goal is not to make a top server site. The goal is to differentiate between servers that have a long history of being online, where people can invest time and money without wondering if the server will close tomorrow and if it will be maintained, and servers that pop every weeks but barely do it to the next month (you see the kind). Yes, servers can become horrible, but we can remove them from the list. And yes, servers can pop-up after some time, and we can add them to the list. Server owners will only have to force themselves to do something good to pop-up. You can't sit and just wait...
Thanks
4 Users
Old 05/31/2016, 02:38   #12

elite*gold: 83
Received Thanks: 6,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
If the conditions are objectives, it doesn't affect the net neutrality, no? What about a sticky linking to the servers respecting these conditions? It would be a kind of index...
We are totally fine with a concept sort of like that.

Quote:
Everyone has a right to vote on that poll. But if that poll only affects the CO2 section, I don't see why people who won't be affected by it should vote... I have a friend with dual nationality. She has the right to vote in Canada, but she don't because she no longer lives here and she shouldn't vote for something that won't affect her but only others.
I feel like everyone will get affected of it in some sense. I feel like if someone has an opinion, it should be accepted. They may have some opinion and in their thoughts it may or may not be official in the long term. Due to it being a public board/voting system, I feel like it should include anyone whom has an interest in the conclusion.

Quote:
The goal is not to make a top server site. The goal is to differentiate between servers that have a long history of being online, where people can invest time and money without wondering if the server will close tomorrow and if it will be maintained, and servers that pop every weeks but barely do it to the next month (you see the kind). Yes, servers can become horrible, but we can remove them from the list. And yes, servers can pop-up after some time, and we can add them to the list. Server owners will only have to force themselves to do something good to pop-up. You can't sit and just wait...
But, does that need filtering? Bad servers die, good servers stay up regardless. No server has a chance here anymore, the moment it's opened, it gets jumped on saying it's utter garbage (in most cases, perhaps they are).
Good servers can easily get recognised due to view counts, page limited so on and so forth, and can get bumped regularly if they are actually good.

Whereas I can't see the forum normally, one bump a month could basically keep you on the front page for that long?
Old 05/31/2016, 02:43   #13

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
What bugs me isn't so much the lack of stickying. It may be annoying that those who prove themselves and keep the section alive aren't given visibility but I can at least appreciate the position epvp has on the matter.

My complaint is that every time we make suggestions based on what applies to our section in particular the answer we get back is either

"that's not how it works in other sections"
"I didn't read your suggestion but think its a bad idea"

or

"that's not what epvp wants to be"

The 3rd one obviously is totally the discretion of the admins and I can respect. If they don't want to be a top site (even though server listings are almost entirely what our particular section is based around) that's totally cool. The issue is that when very knowledgeable people in our section voice their concerns and offer suggestions they are simply being told "no, we don't care to fix it"

We got the moderation queue added for pserver advertisements, that's a great start but can someone please tell me what fucking excuse there is for refusing to delete old, offline servers that no longer exist so the section can actually be browsed properly?

The excuse I was given is that epvp wants to archive every post and is a forum, not a top site... that excuse is absolute trash though when you're literally saying that threads which completely break the rules of the section, are spammed or are utterly irrelevant should never be removed.

Here's a breakdown TL; DR for those unfamiliar with the CO section and being sent into this thread.

Our section is nothing more than a archive of publicly released sources, discussion between developers and advertised projects. Those are the only valid uses left in our section (all other threads get ignored, flamed, closed or deleted) What we're being told though is that because that is not the situation in other sections, nothing should be done to foster that type of activity in OUR little corner of epvp.

Quote:
Good servers can easily get recognised due to view counts, page limited so on and so forth, and can get bumped regularly if they are actually good.
Those that meet the requirements still get posted (as horrible as they are), people join them, then leave the community because they had a bad experience. That chases away those who want to play servers very quickly.

Those that bother to look further on the list are met with dead links because nothing is ever deleted. This is a very bad issue There is a reason I delete every single thread rather than closing it in our section, if I didn't the forum would be unreadable clogged the same as the pserver section is.

By refusing to acknowledge the work of those who put out servers worth using, you give them no reason to be a part of the epvp community and then all you're left with is the shitty trash servers that get spammed daily. There's a reason there's so few decent developers releasing content, discussing development or participating in non advertisement sections of the forum. No, stickying their projects isn't what we're suggesting but having the ability for their projects to attract attention is a good thing to foster further discussion and development outside of that particular subforum as well.
Thanks
5 Users
Old 05/31/2016, 02:43   #14

Quote:
We are totally fine with a concept sort of like that.
If linking to advertisements through a stickied thread is permitted, why not just directly sticky threads? Why should a non-moderator be expected maintain and own something like that rather than the active moderator based on section rules (since there will always be an active moderator)? The board needs to own this, not one member. It seems like a lot of dancing around a non-issue if this is truly the case.
Old 05/31/2016, 02:48   #15

elite*gold: 130
Not every server bumps there threads but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad. is one of the best servers to play at currently and the OP last posted almost 5 months ago (page 3).
Thanks
1 User
Closed Thread