Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 00:28

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Poll] Sticky Server Advertisements

Discussion on [Poll] Sticky Server Advertisements within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: Should server advertisements be stickied if they meet requirements?
Yes, sticky deserving advertisements. 16 44.44%
No, do not sticky advertisements. 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05/31/2016, 17:40   #31

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorev View Post
I call horseshit on zero traffic from epvp.
If true, no need for moderator tag, signature and semiweekly bumps of your own threads with "guys i told somebody to make me a garment for my server" to ensure most visibility.
I have no interest at all in being a moderator. My application was because I was sick of how bad the section was being flooded with spam and other issues and I actively tried to find someone else to do it instead of myself. At the time no one was willing, we've since been assigned a different mod and I'd be more than happy to step back again and let them handle everything.

The vast majority of my traffic comes from facebook advertisements although it's true that the quality of clicks that epvp generates is a bit higher (people who come from epvp tend to be english speakers who understand what's being advertised).

My server being listed here and the thread being kept active and bumped is honestly more about SEO and name exposure rather than raw advertisement value. It's the same reason I have it listed on other forums and top100 sites. Most of the sites are useless in regards to bringing in players but they definitely don't hurt.

Quote:
As for cleaning up the section:
- Drop down menu
- Select All
- Unapprove Threads

Take out 2-3 threads and you are done.
You realize that's exactly what I'm arguing for. I am not a mod in the pserver advert/release section, it's not my decision to make.

My exact suggestions were...

-Clear all threads (archive them if they want)
-Import threads that still have valid links (that leaves 5-6 total threads in the entire section)
-If a server goes offline for weeks, delete the thread, it's clearly never coming back
-Enable the moderator queue to ensure advertisement rules are followed

So far we've gotten the moderator queue but I'm getting nothing but contradictions regarding deleting offline/dead servers from the section. First I was told that they wanted them archived and didn't want to delete offline servers, then I was told they had no issues with dead link threads being removed... then I was told that just because a server is offline doesn't mean the thread should be deleted.

From what I gather they are in 'wait and see' mode which... whatever that's up to them they run the site not me. I don't appreciate though how this is being made about my apparent greed rather than the very real issue of how hideous that section currently is to navigate.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 18:26   #32

elite*gold: 7110
Received Thanks: 25,394
Quote:
So far we've gotten the moderator queue but I'm getting nothing but contradictions regarding deleting offline/dead servers from the section. First I was told that they wanted them archived and didn't want to delete offline servers, then I was told they had no issues with dead link threads being removed... then I was told that just because a server is offline doesn't mean the thread should be deleted.
That's more like misunderstandings on your side than contradictions on ours.
We were saying, from the beginning, that we don't think that a server being offline is reason enough to entirely delete its thread. It may be closed though. We don't have an issue with threads violating the rules (e.g. having no backlink) being removed.
Old 05/31/2016, 18:35   #33

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSm!th View Post
We were saying, from the beginning, that we don't think that a server being offline is reason enough to entirely delete its thread. It may be closed though. We don't have an issue with threads violating the rules (e.g. having no backlink) being removed.
Technically, once a server is no longer active (including their website) this means they are violating the rules by not having a backlink.

Technically, this means a thread may be removed instead of closed, correct?
Old 05/31/2016, 18:40   #34

One might wonder why a backlink would be even necessary if the link is dead in the first place.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 18:42   #35

I'll take that as a yes. Start pruning boys.
Old 05/31/2016, 18:45   #36

Too bad it was a no. We don't delete entire threads (which would other users' posts with them) just because the advertised server has gone offline.

Even if we applied your logic, we would rather remove the link from the starting post than delete the entire thread.

FYI: You can browse a section with closed threads being hidden by appending ?hideclosed=1 to the URL.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 18:45   #37

Received Thanks: 1,565
well if you have a thread linking to a domain, you technically are still linking to that domain, even if the domain name has expired or the website has been removed. This is still counted as an outgoing link. So technically you are violating the rules because the domain in question doesn't have the link back to you.

Anyone could pickup that domain in a few weeks time. And not have the link back. I don't think you manually check all domains to make sure they link back do you? (especially if its been dead for a few weeks)
Old 05/31/2016, 18:53   #38

Quote:
Too bad it was a no. We don't delete entire threads (which would other users' posts with them) just because the advertised server has gone offline.

Even if we applied your logic, we would rather remove the link from the starting post than delete the entire thread.

FYI: You can browse a section with closed threads being hidden by appending ?hideclosed=1 to the URL.
Perhaps a new child node titled "Closed Servers" / "Abandoned Servers" or whatever fits and we can ship the dead stuff there? You get to keep the historical value of such great posts and we get a clean section.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 05/31/2016, 19:07   #39

elite*gold: 200
Quote:
Perhaps a new child node titled "Closed Servers" / "Abandoned Servers" or whatever fits and we can ship the dead stuff there? You get to keep the historical value of such great posts and we get a clean section.
From all the suggestions I've read around here, considering the fact that epvp's admins are somewhat skeptical about the previous idea (not saying I agree or disagree, just stating a fact) this would probably be the best idea I've read.

I do not agree with completely deleting an ad. thread for a discontinued server. Keeping the historical value as you mentioned is also something I believe we as a community should be concern about (I browse L2H thread every once in a while just for the lols) but making them an appropriate child forum, where everyone could check which servers have been there and at the same time have a proper and user-friendly browse for active servers would surely be something we could all use.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 19:12   #40

Quote:
MrSm!th: threads that violate the rules should be removed regardless of this debate
MrSm!th: we are just against deleting threads just because the servers don't meet some arbitrary quality or availability expectations

Pro4Never: The response I got in the suggestions I made said that they would not delete any threads and would not purge the backlog of dead threads.

MrSm!th: that's not true, we just said we don't want to delete threads just for the mere fact that the servers are offline

I fail to see how this can be "me misunderstanding". You say you're not against deleting old threads that do not obey epvp rules and are filled with broken links but then in your very next message say that threads shouldn't be deleted just because the server no longer exists.

We aren't talking about any favoritism or judge of 'quality' of these servers here, we're simply saying that if a server no longer exists, its advertisement thread should be removed OR moved to an archived subforum.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 19:13   #41

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, we'll talk about it.

Btw. it's not about the value of the advertising thread itself (which, of course, can be questioned when the link is dead), but rather about the posts of other users that would get deleted with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never
Pro4Never: The response I got in the suggestions I made said that they would not delete any threads and would not purge the backlog of dead threads.

MrSm!th: that's not true, we just said we don't want to delete threads just for the mere fact that the servers are offline
Ah, I misread that part about "backlog of dead threads". I thought you were yet again claiming we're against deleting threads violating our rules, which we are not. We do oppose the idea of purging "dead" threads, yes.
An archive forum might be a valid option though. And before you start taking about how you have suggested that as well: No, you have suggested a hidden archive forum, which would basically be the same as deleting the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never
You say you're not against deleting old threads that do not obey epvp rules and are filled with broken links
I have never said that.
Old 05/31/2016, 19:14   #42

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, we'll talk about it.

Btw. it's not about the value of the advertising thread itself (which, of course, can be questioned when the link is dead), but rather about the posts of other users that would get deleted as well.
And that is the reason we initially suggested stickying servers which are currently online so that any non stickied servers are those that are closed/not relevant. That was turned down so we suggested deleting/moving them to archived sub forum as an alternative.

When we're talking about stickying servers, we're not implying any judge of quality of the server, literally just a checklist of "links work, game is online, has some players". EVERY server currently online and working would qualify for sticky to separate them from the archived trash. By adding a week or so waiting period you also encourage them to stick around the community and get involved but that's a secondary debate not relevant right now.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 19:20   #43

Received Thanks: 1,565
why do u guys randomly delete my posts wat the hell is this? only allow opinions u agree with?? wtf is the point in that.
Old 05/31/2016, 19:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimation View Post
why do u guys randomly delete my posts wat the hell is this? only allow opinions u agree with?? wtf is the point in that.
Your previous post did not provide any value to the discussion. If you want to rant about epvp, do it elsewhere.
Thanks
1 User
Old 05/31/2016, 19:27   #45
Administrator

elite*gold: 53948
The Black Market: 254/0/0
Received Thanks: 15,056
What was the exact reason against letting a member creating a collective thread with the current active/live servers?
Closed Thread