Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Looking for team to assist with CO2 private server in Java

Discussion on Looking for team to assist with CO2 private server in Java within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old 10/23/2009, 01:12   #16

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,882
lol said what about dan and caff
PS:
Hi haydz <3.
Old 10/23/2009, 03:13   #17

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousNoone View Post
lol said what about dan and caff
PS:
Hi haydz <3.
1% was left for dan and caff because they're that badass.
And because dan sounds 1337 on vent.
Old 10/23/2009, 09:36   #18

I've pmed you.
Old 10/23/2009, 13:34   #19

I can also help but im aiming more for Java Applet on a Webpage
Kind of like Quake Live Requires a bit of downloading in order to play it
But most of it based within the Web
Old 10/26/2009, 04:54   #20

s.bat & I have been working on a server written in Java. You may find located in the google code SVN:

'Jonquer' is the name of it. We will be developing this to a certain point (and leaving what's done open source) then we will continue to develop the full game closed source.
Old 10/26/2009, 06:18   #21

hows the coding going? i know little about coding but am very interested in following your project. seams like its comming along very well so far.

GL & keep it up!
Old 10/26/2009, 16:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tequila_ View Post
Thanks, that really lightened up my day. I figured it was as much as that, it's like that for a lot of MMO private-server developers. The "top devs" dish out some stuff, and people feed on it, and use it to grow, or "try to grow" and wind up failing. All in all, it's the people "who can code" who wind up choosing what language is commonly used throughout the section due to distribution of "complete" code; so to speak. Is there really nobody good in this section who does use Java? I'm surprised seeing it's taught a lot more commonly in school (at least where I live) than .NET mainly for the reason "Oh my *** <3 it's cross platform! Because we all know we plan on developing on a Mac or Linux and not a Windows!"
hahaha that lightened up my day aswell xD
Old 10/26/2009, 19:15   #23

What do you plan to gain from a Java server over using C#, for which masses of code already exists?
Old 10/26/2009, 21:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownone View Post
What do you plan to gain from a Java server over using C#, for which masses of code already exists?
Originality over mostly ****** code?
Old 10/27/2009, 05:25   #25

Quote:
Another choice of language, ability to run on linux.

It's always good to have variety. However i also plan to write this better structured, documented, faster, more stable & more heavyweight than the other flock of C# ones floating around.

We'll see how that turns out.
Old 10/27/2009, 18:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tao4229_ View Post
Originality over mostly shitty code?
It was a srs question, please give a srs answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChong23 View Post
Another choice of language, ability to run on linux.
I find the word choice here to be oxymoronic, because this is where the CLI excels. Language choice and interoperability between those languages is better than what is available for the JVM.
There's at least one implementation of Java for the CLI, meaning that you'd be able to code in the language and still make use of all the existing C# code from there. You'd need to sacrifice the JCL in favour of the BCL though (who cares, for much of it, they're functionally identical but named differently).

Running on linux is a moot point. Mono runs on linux just fine unless you're trying to use .Net 4.0. I don't particularly see anyone making use of even .Net3.5 features like LINQ here anyway. Mono will run .Net 2.0 code without trouble.

Quote:
It's always good to have variety.
Variety is good when code is interoperable, but otherwise, it sucks. It means unnecessary rewrites, additional maintenance, and lack of cooperation with other developers, which is already one of the problems on this forum.

Quote:
However i also plan to write this better structured, documented, faster, more stable & more heavyweight than the other flock of C# ones floating around.

We'll see how that turns out.
I doubt you'll get any performance increase using Java unless at the cost of the stability you also wish for. What constructs does Java offer to better structure code that you can't do in C#?

Don't let me dissuade you, but I just don't see any advantage whatsoever to start using Java now (unless you're compiling to CIL). If you already had plenty of code written in Java (think Qonquer), then is might be reasonable, otherwise, you can achieve everything you want with C#, making use of existing code and saving a lot of effort.
Old 10/28/2009, 06:16   #27

Quote:
It was a srs question, please give a srs answer.

I find the word choice here to be oxymoronic, because this is where the CLI excels. Language choice and interoperability between those languages is better than what is available for the JVM.
There's at least one implementation of Java for the CLI, meaning that you'd be able to code in the language and still make use of all the existing C# code from there. You'd need to sacrifice the JCL in favour of the BCL though (who cares, for much of it, they're functionally identical but named differently).

Running on linux is a moot point. Mono runs on linux just fine unless you're trying to use .Net 4.0. I don't particularly see anyone making use of even .Net3.5 features like LINQ here anyway. Mono will run .Net 2.0 code without trouble.

Variety is good when code is interoperable, but otherwise, it sucks. It means unnecessary rewrites, additional maintenance, and lack of cooperation with other developers, which is already one of the problems on this forum.

I doubt you'll get any performance increase using Java unless at the cost of the stability you also wish for. What constructs does Java offer to better structure code that you can't do in C#?

Don't let me dissuade you, but I just don't see any advantage whatsoever to start using Java now (unless you're compiling to CIL). If you already had plenty of code written in Java (think Qonquer), then is might be reasonable, otherwise, you can achieve everything you want with C#, making use of existing code and saving a lot of effort.
Oh don't worry, you don't put me off 1 bit, ill be continuing with this server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownone
What constructs does Java offer to better structure code that you can't do in C#?
I was talking more at design level, not language. I'm only comparing my project to LOTF (C#) which is what i use as a reference purely only for packet structures. But also taking a look at that code, i'm not much of a C# person but i know enough to know that it's written & designed quite poorly.

I'm not saying ill get more speed/performance out of this because its written in Java over a C# one. i'm simply saying the way ill be designing it hopefully will be faster than the current C# one's, and follow proper language code conventions.

LOTF looked more of a proof of concept that it could work. In reality, that piece of software would fail hugely in the real world (and as it does now, or so i read) almost all incoming packets are not handled for unexpected outcome. (for example not enough data, not the correct data) etc, a proxy sending some false data would ruin a server running LOTF, it also lacks a lot of abstraction (have you seen how the NPCs are handled? i believe its the same on CoEmu too).

This server isn't about promoting it because it's written in Java, i'm just more proficient in Java and will work with what i got.