Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 03:30

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

is .dmap only for conquer?

Discussion on is .dmap only for conquer? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
is .dmap only for conquer?

idk if my title explains well but i will try it here.

if lets say we are creating a custom client can we use .dmaps for our maps or only conquer is allow to.
Old 02/06/2014, 19:57   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
No. TQ Digital uses their DMap file format for all of their 2D games. That includes Conquer Online, The Warlords, Eudemons, etc. There are different versions of DMap files (the version number near or at the top of every DMap file). Some clients also load scenery in different ways, thus slightly different DMap formats. More or less, from my understanding, they are fairly similar.
Old 02/06/2014, 20:23   #3

In terms of being used in other games that TQ does not make then yes. It's a custom file structure I believe. I'd think most games uses their own file structures for such thing as mapping, because it would have to be as fitting for the game as possible.
Old 02/06/2014, 20:36   #4

Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGragen. View Post
idk if my title explains well but i will try it here.

if lets say we are creating a custom client can we use .dmaps for our maps or only conquer is allow to.
File format can't be patented with the current US laws. Only algorithms (compression, encoding, etc) can be patented. The European law is more specific about the algorithms patents, but still, file format can't be patented.

Data Map (DMap) files being only binary-coded data, you can freely reuse, reimplement, edit the format.

The file format is used by most, if not all, TQ games with minor differences with the format version.

With that said, using TQ's created DMaps is illegal, as you're using TQ's copyrighted content without their agreement.
Old 02/07/2014, 07:01   #5

what is i make a custom dmap with a map maker how about then?
Old 02/07/2014, 09:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGragen. View Post
what is i make a custom dmap with a map maker how about then?
Then it's not their data, but yours.