Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:21

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Most effective way to write Packets.

Discussion on Most effective way to write Packets. within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Most effective way to write Packets.

is it using Structs >?
Old 12/06/2012, 00:06   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
It depends really. There's plenty of viable and effective ways of writing packets.

From a pure efficiency standpoint, I'm under the impression that structs and memory marshaling are likely king. I do know that it gets very painful to work with as soon as you start delving into variable offset packets though and therefor are less 'worth it'.

Personally I feel pointers are the best route to take and is actually what the TQ servers use (look at the NetStringPacker in Albetros source, that's ripped from tq sources by dev).

It really depends on what you value. What's most efficient for one packet (simple fixed offset/length packets) might be less efficient or difficult to work with on another (variable number of variable length strings for example)
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/06/2012, 10:46   #3

What pro said.

Just want to add that if your packet contains strings you should avoid structs IMO.
Old 12/06/2012, 13:12   #4

Received Thanks: 1,147
Sequential structures using a packing of one byte. For packets with variable length strings, putting a fixed char array of one byte at the end to use with a StringPacker would do the trick. After that, you can alloc the structure on the heap and cast it to an unsafe byte pointer OR you can stackalloc the structure and copy it to a managed byte array.

That's the way I mostly did it, and that's the way I would go.
Old 12/06/2012, 13:59   #5

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Effective in which way?

Memory usage.
Speed of creation/sending.
Ease of use.

All of these have different possible solutions.
Old 12/06/2012, 16:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Effective in which way?

Memory usage.
Speed of creation/sending.
Ease of use.

All of these have different possible solutions.
I might select speed of creation/sending... which is the same as ease of use
Old 12/06/2012, 16:55   #7

Not really. Ease of use is the way you're using it, how easy it is to ex. implement etc.
Old 12/07/2012, 03:27   #8

i think u must use the way that is easier for u to use, actually almost every way to write packets are fast and don't has much memory usage, the difference won't be much, but the difficulty to structure them will be. (ofc this will apply in cases that u aren't writing an extremly crappy code)
Old 12/07/2012, 09:54   #9

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Ease of use would be the ease at which it is to write and maintain packet structures and how to access the data and manage it etc. So that would most likely be a class, a byte[] and a base class which each packet inherits from.

For speed of creation I would suggest a class with a pointer based system and you should implement a native method to send by pointer, instead of converting to array.

And for memory its a struct being used as a pointer, but which has a fixed layout.

Thats my view anyway.