Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 06:28

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Open-Source Development: A C++ Project

Discussion on Open-Source Development: A C++ Project within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: What Conquer-Like game should I make a server for?
Conquer Online 1.0 11 73.33%
Era of Faith (English Version) 2 13.33%
The Warlords 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Open-Source Development: A C++ Project

Hey everyone,

I haven't made a public project, ever. I'm still working on Kibou (Burning Skies) and that will be returning this winter; however, I feel very bound to that project (and the C# language). I enjoy it, but I'd also like to work on something new. Something for the month that I'm off to do while I'm bored of re-documenting Kibou. That's why I want to make a new project that's not in C#. I want to make a VC++ project. I chose VC++ because I'm more familiar with it (and because I don't have much experience yet with C++). I'd like to use this as an experience for me, so feedback is always nice. Please don't comment about why I shouldn't use VC++ though, I know. I'd still like to learn it. Anyways, I'm also questioning if I should stick with Conquer Online for this project. That's why I'm asking you. What Conquer-like game should I make a private server for?

Cheers,
Spirited Fang
Thanks
2 Users
Old 11/24/2012, 10:21   #2

elite*gold: 0
good luck with your project dude and keep us posted.

If you are going the CO1 route and need debuggers, lemme know.
Old 11/24/2012, 13:56   #3

You should give up, because you said "VC++". It does not exist.

Also why not cross-platform since it's C++?
Old 11/24/2012, 14:56   #4

Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
You should give up, because you said "VC++". It does not exist.

Also why not cross-platform since it's C++?
Visual C++ does exist. It's the Microsoft implementation of the C++ language.

Anyway, doing it in C++, you should try to make a cross-platform implementation. Maybe by using some awesome framework as Qt, or by asking someone to refer you some equivalent POSIX API to WinAPI.

On topic, if you work on EoF, you know that I'm willing to help you. And as I already said, if I do work on EoF, it's for an open-source C++ emulator, which must be cross-platform (POSIX-compliant/Win32 & Endian-neutral) and documented like a pro
Old 11/24/2012, 16:29   #5

Received Thanks: 8,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
Visual C++ is an IDE, C++/CLI is the language by MS.
Old 11/24/2012, 16:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phize View Post
Visual C++ is an IDE, C++/CLI is the language by MS.
Microsoft Visual C++ is an IDE which support :

Microsoft C++ is a managed extension to C++ by Microsoft superseded by C++/CLI.
C++/CLI is a managed extension to C++ by Microsoft.
Visual C++ is the Microsoft implementation of the C++ standard. It is not compliant to everything, and few things are specific to Microsoft Visual C++. (e.g. #pragma pack, __int8, etc) Visual C++ is similar to Intel C++ which is a compiler and an implementation of the C++ standard.

Clear ?
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/24/2012, 16:53   #7

elite*gold: 111
Isn't bone-you doing an open source project in c++? You could just pick up on that if you wish to stick to CO.

Old 11/24/2012, 17:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*NewDuuDe*~ View Post
Isn't bone-you doing an open source project in c++? You could just pick up on that if you wish to stick to CO.

I wouldn't take bone's source as a base. Plus, it could be interesting to have something not based on bone's project as all C++ emulator of CO2 are from him.
Old 11/24/2012, 18:47   #9

I kindly asked that people didn't discuss compilers, but it's always refreshing seeing what people think. Again, I'm using VC++ because I'm familiar with it and because I'd like more experience using it. That's the purpose of this project, to use VC++. I won't be using the managed, CRL version of VC++ either. There's no point in doing that when I can use C#. I'm using Win32 and the WinAPI.
Old 11/24/2012, 21:47   #10

Quote:

Anyway, doing it in C++, you should try to make a cross-platform implementation. Maybe by using some awesome framework as Qt, or by asking someone to refer you some equivalent POSIX API to WinAPI.

On topic, if you work on EoF, you know that I'm willing to help you. And as I already said, if I do work on EoF, it's for an open-source C++ emulator, which must be cross-platform (POSIX-compliant/Win32 & Endian-neutral) and documented like a pro
Visual C++ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type: IDE

Also why'd he use Qt for a thing like this? Qt is mainly for application/game/phone development etc.

I'd say go with boost
Old 11/24/2012, 22:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
Visual C++ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type: IDE

Also why'd he use Qt for a thing like this? Qt is mainly for application/game/phone development etc.

I'd say go with boost
Visual C++ is the compiler AND the implementation of the C++ standard. A C++ source code that use Visual C++ extensions of the language is coded in VC++. I never said that Visual C++ wasn't an IDE. But, it is right to say that something is coded in VC++ if it isn't pure C++.

Qt, although originally mainly for GUI, is now a fairly complete framework. The slot/signal extension is really useful for networking. Boost will do the job too. Both are well designed, although I tend to prefer Qt.

Anyway, Fang seems to want to use WinAPI, etc...
Old 11/24/2012, 23:46   #12

That's right. VC++ is Microsoft's Visual C++ language and a short name for Microsoft's Visual Studio C++ IDE. There are a few versions of the language: VC++ ATL (Active Template Library), VC++ CLR (Common Language Runtime, which is used in the .NET Framework), VC++ MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class Library), and VC++ Win32 (the original and base for all other versions of VC++). I want to just use the WinAPI to create sockets in Windows and such, so that's why I'm using VC++ Win32. I could use boost, but I want to get familiar with Windows first. The purpose of this project is to use the WinAPI. Some companies use VC++, and so I want experience using it.
Old 11/25/2012, 01:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
[...] I could use boost, but I want to get familiar with Windows first. The purpose of this project is to use the WinAPI. Some companies use VC++, and so I want experience using it.
The only companies that use WinAPI are companies targeting only Windows Else, they'll go for POSIX & cross-platform framework as Mac OS X, *NIX, GNU/Linux are all POSIX-compliant, and Windows is the only "unique" system. Windows is like the black sheep of the OSes But, I started with the WinAPI, and it still a good base due to high functionalities integrated into the OS. So, if you don't plan to make the emulator cross-platform, using the WinAPI will be more optimal.
Old 11/25/2012, 02:29   #14

Quote:
The only companies that use WinAPI are companies targeting only Windows Else, they'll go for POSIX & cross-platform framework as Mac OS X, *NIX, GNU/Linux are all POSIX-compliant, and Windows is the only "unique" system. Windows is like the black sheep of the OSes But, I started with the WinAPI, and it still a good base due to high functionalities integrated into the OS. So, if you don't plan to make the emulator cross-platform, using the WinAPI will be more optimal.
Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Companies that target Windows. I'd still like to know how to use it and DirectX (eventually, not with this project though).
Old 11/25/2012, 15:13   #15

But either way... aren't you busy enough with your other project? Or you quitted that again and if so then I just see this dying as well.
Closed Thread