Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 01:09

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Separated auth/game servers

Discussion on Separated auth/game servers within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
Separated auth/game servers

So I was looking through some sources and I noticed that certain sources had separated auth/game servers while others did not.
Is there any advantage in separating them? Especially when you're not gonna host multiple servers like TQ.
Old 01/30/2012, 01:13   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Multiple servers is the biggest reason (as you stated). Other than that... performance wise... there isn't much of a difference unless u plan on hosting them on two different hosts. It's more organized if you like your project to be organized.
Old 01/30/2012, 01:21   #3

Received Thanks: 2,882
There isn't much gain unless you intend to host multiple game servers.
Old 01/30/2012, 01:34   #4

elite*gold: 0
If you have 1 IP/server, not needed. 1 IP/3-12 servers(TQ's way), needed.
Having dedicated lines(or ips) for each integrated auth+game server is better, obviously, also giving you more control of what each IP allows to pass through at the t2-t3 provider if you have contact with your provider.

Also, if your one and only auth server fails, all servers are down. (IE: TQ's recent downtime for all Nature servers yesterday)

Imo, split servers are personal vanity issues in a private server application.

I've used a server split to a separate chat server, database server(mssql), data server(inis/map data/etc), connect server, login server, game server, and event server, not to mention a separate server which players get migrated to when they visit certain maps such as a guild war map. Keep in mind all of these servers run off of the same database info. 1-20 servers were possible, all 20 servers could migrate a connection from their origin server to the guild war server [edit]: without reloading info, since it's cached in the database server. A single gameserver alone would use 100% of the CPU if there were more than 200 online on a xeon quad core host with RETAIL BINS. If anyone can guess what game runs off this mess I'de have to applaud. I spent 3 years dealing with it
Old 01/30/2012, 01:50   #5

Received Thanks: 2,518
I split them on the grounds of safety, if someone decides they are going to try and crash your game server by some form of flood its one less access point, you can also host it on a separate server to reduce this risk further.

The question should be is there an advantage to combining them and the answer to that question is no, there is no advantage unless you include the 500ms reduction in login time.
Old 01/30/2012, 10:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousNoone View Post
There isn't much gain unless you intend to host multiple game servers.
Then why did you separate it in PM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
I split them on the grounds of safety, if someone decides they are going to try and crash your game server by some form of flood its one less access point, you can also host it on a separate server to reduce this risk further.

The question should be is there an advantage to combining them and the answer to that question is no, there is no advantage unless you include the 500ms reduction in login time.
I see, well since I honestly don't plan hosting a server, I might as well keep them together.
Old 01/31/2012, 03:53   #7

Received Thanks: 2,882
Korvacs answered why I split it.
People trying to crash it.
Old 02/01/2012, 01:57   #8

Even if just a little... you will have a better performance...
Also.... like Korvacs said... the chances of flooding packets will be decreased a lot... since it'll be just the acc server where you can always setup some permissions like... max num of received packets per socket.... since it'll be like 2/3 requests by the client...

The gameserver may have some different access ports and you can always use the verifiers when receive data ... etc,etc,etc... ;P
Old 02/03/2012, 10:32   #9

Ermm splitting the auth- and gameserver will not do any protection against ddos.
You would only need to take down the gameserver, so that's just one server you still would have to ddos.

The IP for the gameserver is send through the authresponse, so you could get the IP by logging the packet, but this would be a problem if there is custom encryption, but then there is always Taskmanager, where you can check all your network connections, so you just have to find Conquer.exe and the IPAddress/Port. Like shown below.

The splitting would only help against ddos attack, if you had multiple game servers, but 99% of all private servers have no more than 1 auth server and 1 game server or even them split, so ddos protection would not be what's the + about splitting.

I can see 2 things that is actually only a + about splitting the auth- and gameserver. It would be to have multiple gameservers or that if the auth is down, then people who are already playing will not be disconnected, because the gameserver is not down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tails View Post
Even if just a little... you will have a better performance...
Also.... like Korvacs said... the chances of flooding packets will be decreased a lot... since it'll be just the acc server where you can always setup some permissions like... max num of received packets per socket.... since it'll be like 2/3 requests by the client...

The gameserver may have some different access ports and you can always use the verifiers when receive data ... etc,etc,etc... ;P
It won't be decreased at all.
Old 02/03/2012, 23:48   #10

Like i said, a flood to crash the game server, not a ddos.
Old 02/03/2012, 23:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Like i said, a flood to crash the game server, not a ddos.
You can still flood the gameserver.
Old 02/04/2012, 00:03   #12

Yes........................................but its one less access point /facepalm